This vegetarian stir fry combines baby corn nuggets, whole water chestnuts, and sliced mushrooms for amazingly tasteful and textured dish. The sauce is a simple brown sauce that uses soy sauce as a base. There is no chicken broth or beef broth used, which makes this dish perfect for vegetarians. This recipe is very simple to make, and any of the vegetables can be substituted for different ones. I often use canned sliced bamboo shoots in place of the baby corn and sometimes sliced water chestnuts in place of the whole ones. Try this delicious recipe and then create your own combination of vegetables. Then post your combinations, recipes and any new ideas in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
14oz can baby corn nuggets
5oz can whole water chestnuts
1 ½ cups fresh pre sliced mushrooms
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
3 tbsp water
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp sugar
- Open and drain the cans of baby corn and water chestnuts and set them aside.
- Rinse the mushrooms under cold water. Remember not to soak them, just rinse them and strain them in a colander. If needed, wipe them dry with a paper towel. Then set them aside.
- In a large cup, mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce, making sure that the sugar dissolves thoroughly. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves. Set this mixture aside. This will be the thickener for the sauce.
- Start the stir fry by heating a non stick wok on high. Once the wok is hot, add just one tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and stir fry them for about 3 minutes or until they are soft.
- When the mushrooms are done, remove them from the wok and set them aside.
- If there is oil left in the wok, then you do not need to add anymore, otherwise add the final tablespoon of oil to the wok and let it get hot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the corn nuggets and the water chestnuts. Let them cook until they are heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Then return the mushrooms to the wok and add in the sauce mixture. Stir everything thoroughly together until the vegetables are coated with the sauce. Then let the sauce sit and come to a boil.
- Once the sauce boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes slightly thick. Then remove it from the heat and serve.
- Makes about 3 servings.