Natural Remedies for Dandruff
Often dandruff is caused by Pityrosporum ovale, a common yeast-like fungus that lives on oil. This naturally occurring fungus is found on skin surfaces but is often found in excess in dandruff sufferers. It can be caused by food allergies, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalance, neurological disorders (such as Parkinson’s disease) or weak immune system. Heavier dandruff can result from eczema or psoriasis (an increased shedding of scalp skin cells.
You will find many remedies in the pharmacy but medication may not be what you are looking for. These remedies have been suggested as natural treatments for dandruff.
- Tea Tree oil.
Tea Tree oil kills the dandruff-causing fungus. Use a prepared shampoo from the health food store. Shampoo everyday to prevent dead skin cells from building up. As you shampoo, rub your scalp vigorously to loosen excess skin cells.
You may also use straight Tea Tree oil. Apply it to the scalp and allow it to remain for 10 minutes before shampooing.
- Rosemary, lemon or neem essential oilsApply it to the scalp and allow it to remain for 10 minutes before shampooing.
(Neem oil is pressed from the fruits and seeds of Neem, an evergreen tree of India. It is known for its healing properties and is used as an astringent.)
- Apple cider vinegar
Use full strength or in a 50% solution. Use a cotton ball or applicator bottle to apply it to the scalp. Rub it in and allow it to remain for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Dandruff is sometimes a sign of low scalp circulation. Massage with sesame oil or apple cider vinegar for 5 to 10 minutes If you massage with apple cider vinegar, apply sesame oil afterward.
- These supplements have been suggested for the treatment of dandruff. They are not proven and I suggest discussing any supplement with your physician before taking it.
- Fenugreek seed powder (an herb) 1 teaspoon mixed with honey everyday.
- Nicinamide ( a B Vitamin) 500 mg two or three times a day with food. Time release capsules are not suggested.
- Zinc gluconate or Zinc citrate Take 50 mg a day with food.
- Fish oil
Take 1,500 EPA capsules of liquid with food.
- Bingrah an Indian herb, in tea form. Drink one cup daily.
- Amla fruit (Indian Gooseberry) helps with scalp inflammation. Take 2g per day in capsules.
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
Thicker, Healthier Hair
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.