The spicy kung pao scallops recipe uses small bay scallops toss in a spicy sauce with green onion and ginger. Thai chili peppers are added for both flavor and heat. The seeds of these peppers remain in the dish, however if you are not a fan of spicy foods simply remove these seeds before chopping the peppers. Try this delicious spicy kung pao recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
2 large stalks of green onion
6 to 8 dried red Thai chili peppers
ľ piece fresh ginger
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 lb small bay scallops
2/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Prepare the green onions. Cut off their bases and about a half inch from the top of the green stalks and discard.
- Then rinse them under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Dice the remaining stalks into small pieces and set them aside.
- Chop the chili peppers into small pieces and set them aside.
- Remove the skin from the ginger and dice the remaining ginger into small pieces. Set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Make sure all of the cornstarch dissolves. Then set this mixture aside.
- Heat a wok on high. Once the wok is hot add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the scallops and stir fry them for about 3 to 5 minutes, or just until they turn opaque in color and are cooked through. Take care not to overcook the scallops or they will be tough in the final dish.
- Once cooked, remove them from the wok, place them on a plate and set them aside.
- Next, wipe out the wok. Then heat it on high. Once hot add them remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger and chili peppers, and stir fry them for about 15 to 20 seconds.
- Then add the green onion and stir fry everything for another 10 seconds. Next add the peanuts and the sauce. Mix everything together thoroughly and stir until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Return the scallops to the wok and stir until they are thoroughly coated with the sauce
- Then remove the wok from the heat and serve with either steamed white or fried rice. Makes 2 to 3 servings.