This sweet and sour vegetables recipe makes a great side dish to accompany almost any meal. Itís a healthy and delicious recipe that everyone will enjoy. Try this delicious sweet and sour vegetables recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
1 small sweet white onion
1 small green pepper
1 small red pepper
Ĺ head broccoli
2 small carrots
4 oz sliced white button mushrooms
8 oz can pineapple tidbits
1 tbsp peanut oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup white sugar
ľ tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp cornstarch
- Cut off the ends of the onion and peel. Then cut it into Ĺ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Cut both the red and green bell peppers in half. Remove the stems, all of the seeds and inner white meat. Then cut them into Ĺ inch pieces and place them in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Rinse the broccoli under cold running water. Then cut off the florets and break any large florets into smaller pieces and place them in the bowl with the peppers.
- Cover the broccoli and peppers with hot water and microwave them on high for 2 to 3 minutes, or just until crisp Ė tender. Then drain them thoroughly in a colander. This process is comparable to parboiling.
- Peel the carrots and cut off the large ends and discard. Then cut the smaller ends on a diagonal and discard them as well. Continue cutting the carrots on a diagonal into thin slices and then set these slices aside.
- Place the mushrooms in a colander and lightly rinse them under cold running water to remove any excess dirt. Then use paper towels to dry them thoroughly.
- Open and drain the can of pineapple tidbits and set it aside.
- Prepare the sauce by stirring together all of the ingredients except for the cornstarch in a small non stick pot. Cook the sauce on high, stirring constantly until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- In a small cup, mix together the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- While stirring continuously, bring the sauce to a boil. Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. Remove the pot from the heat and set this sauce aside.
- Next heat the oil in a wok on high. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and carrots. Stir fry them for 2 minutes, or just until crisp-tender.
- Then add the mushrooms and stir fry for just 1 minute more.
- Add the broccoli, peppers, pineapple tidbits, and sauce and stir until everything is mixed together and evenly coated with the sauce. Remove from the heat and serve.
- This is wonderful on top of steamed white rice. Makes 3 to 4 servings.