Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking - Review
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking by Dr. Gary Rodriguez states on the jacket cover - How to Develop and Deliver Purposeful Talks, Speeches, and Presentations with Less Fear and More Confidence. This self development book review sheds light on how the book does this.
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking – Why was this book written?
The author begins by explaining that the book is a glimpse into his life’s story, celebrating his “continuing journey and ongoing development as a public speaker.” The aim of the book appears to be two-fold:
1. To empower readers to improve their ability to speak in public.
2. To show a “simple, purposeful and systematic approach to public speaking.”
Even though he has been involved in public speaking for nearly four decades, the author says his growth as a speaker is continually developing. To hear that even an experienced speaker is an eternal student of public speaking makes you realise just what an art this is.
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking – What does it cover?
The author recounts personal stories throughout which makes you feel that he is speaking to you directly. His section on body language and how certain mannerisms enhance your talk would be particularly interesting to anyone giving presentations, talks or speeches, whatever field you are in.
The many public speaking tips include an interesting section on how to calculate the number of words needed in your talk for different time-slots. In the second half of the book he brings together the various tips and tools, and takes you through the development of a specific topic, from initial preparation to its concluding words. He also covers:
* The assets of illustrations
* How manuscripts get in the way
* How to connect with your audience
* The importance of the 90-second rule
* Why stories make talks more interesting
* How to choose a great title for your talk
* Tips for improving your presentation skills
* What to consider when dressing for your talk
* The benefits of building ‘illustration’ files
* How to choose the subject matter for your talk
* How plagiarism reveals flaws in your character
* How passion “can invigorate even a dry subject”
* Importance of being yourself and being authentic
* The importance of tone and how to use your voice
* What you can learn from dancers and mime artists
* The three components of a well-crafted conclusion
* Why you should know the demographics of your audience
* The four vital questions you need to ask to build your talk
* Why it is wise to answer your audience’s ‘silent’ questions
* The assets of knowing the psychographic nature of your audience
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking – What does it make you consider?
This book makes you realise how your fear of public speaking can “limit your career, influence, and potential for success” and why your fear of public speaking (glossophobia or speech anxiety) can be as high as the fear of death, snakes and spiders!
The author also makes you think in more depth about the words you use everyday stating:
“Words can influence people to do great or horrible things. Words can give life, or they can bring death.”
“As public speakers, we have the awesome responsibility of using words that can build people up or tear them down... In the end, people will be better or worse off because of what we convey.”
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking – Who might benefit?
This book would be useful to anyone who has to get up in front of others (small or large audiences) to deliver a message. Both novices and seasoned speakers would benefit as it has tips and tools to help you prepare yourself in various areas including personal confidence and speech content. Whether you are a lecturer, minister, teacher, salesperson, speaker, parent, etc., you will find it helpful for developing your presentation abilities or for polishing your delivery skills.
Purpose-Centered Public Speaking - Self Development Summary
This self development book is written with a passion that makes you want to try out the tips and tools for reducing fear and increasing confidence as soon as you can. If you have a fear of public speaking, this book will help to create your speech, and to develop your presentation skills.
If you would like to read more about Purpose-Centered Public Speaking: How to Develop and Deliver Purposeful Talks, Speeches, and Presentations with Less Fear and More Confidence do click onto the Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk icons below.
(Disclosure: Dr Madden received this book free of charge from the author for review purposes. She is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme)
To receive further articles do visit the 'FREE Self Development Newsletter' link below. For my Background, Passions and why I write articles like these, see: Dr JOY Madden
Content copyright © 2015 by Dr JOY Madden. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Dr JOY Madden. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Dr JOY Madden for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.