Almond boneless chicken, also known as war su gai, war shu gai, or wor su gai is an American born Chinese dish that has become a restaurant favorite. Batter fried chicken topped with almonds and served with a delicious brown gravy is sure to please everyone. Try this almond boneless chicken recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp garlic salt
2 to 3 cups of peanut oil
¼ cup sliced almonds
2 cups chicken broth
½ tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ tbsp sugar
3 tablespoons water
- Cut each chicken breast in half so that you have 4 pieces. Then sprinkle these pieces evenly with the garlic salt and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Next prepare the gravy. Mix together the chicken broth, soy sauce, and sherry in a medium pot and heat it on high.
- While the gravy heats, in a small cup mix together the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- When the gravy just starts to come to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until it becomes thick. Then remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Next prepare the batter for the chicken. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients (cornstarch, flour, baking powder and sugar.) Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- In a small bowl mix together the wet ingredients (egg and water.) Beat these together thoroughly and then slowly add them to the dry ingredients. Stir until a smooth batter forms and set it aside.
- In a wok heat the peanut oil on high. Make sure that the oil is about 2 inches deep.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully dip each piece of chicken into the batter and then place it in the wok. Depending on the size of your wok, this will most likely need to be cooked in batches.
- Let the chicken cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned on one side. Then flip it over and let it cook another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then remove it from the wok and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- To serve, slice the chicken on the diagonal and top with the sliced almonds. You can either serve the gravy on the side or drizzle over the top. This is best served with a side of fried or steamed rice and steamed mixed vegetables. Makes 4 servings.