Szechuan chicken is a popular restaurant favorite. Szechuan or Sichuan is a province in China famous for its delicious spicy dishes. This Szechuan chicken recipe uses a mix of crushed red pepper and ground Szechuan peppercorns for heat and flavor. Try this amazing Szechuan chicken recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
¼ Vidalia onion
2 tsp cornstarch
2 cups peanut oil
1 tbsp stir fry oil
5oz bagged pre shredded carrots
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp sherry
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp oil
½ cup chicken broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and cut each breast into thin ½ inch to an inch wide slices. Place these slices in a container that has a tight fitting lid.
- To the chicken, add the marinade in the following order. First add the salt and using your hand, mix it in thoroughly. Then add the sherry and stir until it is completely incorporated. Next, add the cornstarch and again use your hand to mix it in, making sure to coat each piece of meat. Then stir in the oil, cover, and let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the chicken marinates, prepare the other ingredients. Cut the onion into think long strips and set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Once the sauce is mixed, set it aside. Then prepare the thickener. Mix the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves.
- Next, cook the chicken. To a wok add a one inch layer of peanut oil and heat it on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and let it cook for 30 seconds to a minute, or until cooked through. While cooking, stir to break up the pieces that may stick together from the marinade.
- Once the chicken is cooked remove it from the wok and place it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Next, remove all of the peanut oil from the wok. Then add the stir fry oil and heat it on high. Keep in mind that stir fry oil already has the flavors of ginger, garlic and onion infused in it.
- When the oil is hot, add the carrots and onions and stir fry them for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onions are soft and the carrots are crisp - tender.
- Then return the chicken to the wok and add the sauce. Stir until everything is thoroughly mixed together and the sauce begins to come to a boil.
- As it starts to come to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture. Stir until the sauce thickens.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Serve this with either fried rice or white steamed rice. Makes 3 to 4 servings.