Bubble tea, also called pearl milk tea and boba tea is a popular drink that came from Taiwan and has spread throughout Asian and America. Traditionally this delicious drink consists of either black or green tea mixed with milk and/or cream and chewy tapioca pearls. Most recipes use the large tapioca pearls which can be black, clear, or colored; and require an extra large straw through which to drink them. These pearls can usually be found in most local grocery stores as well as Asian markets. They are sometimes also called “starch balls.”
Fruit flavors are also sometimes added to this delicious drink. These come in either syrup or powdered form and can be found in some Asian markets, specialty shops, and online. There are so many different flavors to choose from. They run anywhere from apple, almond and avocado to strawberry, taro, and watermelon.
The recipe below is a basic recipe for a delicious refreshing bubble tea. Try this bubble tea recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
4 black tea bags
9 ½ cups water
1 cup large tapioca pearls
¼ cup sugar
2 ½ cup ice
¼ cup honey
1 ½ cups milk
½ cup creamer
- Heat 1½ cups of the water on high and bring it to a boil. Once it boils, remove it from the heat, add the tea bags and let them steep for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the tea steeps, bring the remaining 8 cups of water to a boil and add the tapioca pearls. Turn the heat to medium low keeping the water at a steady boil and let them cook for 30 minutes.
- When the tea is done steeping, remove the bags and add the sugar, stirring until it dissolves completely. Then add ½ cup of the ice and stir to cool down the tea. Pour the tea into a large pitcher and place it in the refrigerator to completely cool it while preparing the other ingredients.
- Once the tapioca pearls are cooked drain them in a colander and run cold running water over them until they are cool to the touch.
- Then place them in a bowl and add the honey. Stir until they are thoroughly coated.
- In a large cup mix together the milk and creamer and set it aside.
- Once the refrigerated tea is cold, set out 4 large cups.
- Place about ¼ cup of the pearls into the bottom of each cup.
- Then in a large cocktail shaker add ½ cup of ice, ½ cup of tea and ½ cup of the milk mixture. Shake well and pour into a cup. Repeat until all of the cups are full.
- Then place one of the large straws in each cup and serve. Makes 4 servings.