Snow peas are an amazing vegetable used in many stir fries and other Asian dishes. On there own they can make the perfect side dish. Here is a recipe that is super easy to make and brings quite a bit of flavor to a meal. This simple snow pea stir fry combines snow peas, fresh ginger, and soy sauce to create a tasty side that will complement almost any main dish. However, in my opinion this recipe pairs best with steamed salmon and a side of fried rice.
Snow peas are normally in season during the summer months and can usually be found year round in the produce section of most local grocery stores. When choosing snow peas, look to make sure that they are a nice green color and that there are no spots or discolorations on them. Also make sure that they are firm and not wilted and flimsy.
Cleaning and trimming the snow peas may take a little time. Both the pointy ends of each pod and the string that runs along the side is usually removed and discarded. Though there are some cooks who choose to not bother removing the string, this is simply a personal choice. The recipe below outlines how to clean and trim these peas as well as stir fry them. Try this delicious snow pea recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
6oz snow peas
ľ inch piece fresh ginger
Ĺ tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
- Rinse the snow peas under cold running water. Then trim each one by using either your fingers or a knife to pinch or cut off the ends. Then pull the string that runs along the side of the snow pea down and off as well. Once they are all trimmed, dry them thoroughly with paper towels and set them aside.
- Using a knife or a spoon carefully peel the piece of ginger. Then mince it into tiny pieces and set these pieces aside.
- Next, heat a wok or non stick pan on high. Once itís hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the snow peas and the ginger and stir fry them for about 4 minutes or just until the snow peas are crisp tender.
- Next add the soy sauce and stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Then remove the wok from the heat and serve. Makes 2 to 3 side servings.