This Chinese watercress soup recipe combines watercress, wolfberries, and dates in a delicious Chinese chicken broth seasoned with soy sauce and white pepper. Packed full of nutrients, this soup is perfect for the colder months ahead.
Watercress is a leafy green that is used in soups, salads and other recipes. It is sometimes used as an herb and other times used as a garnish. It has a delicate spicy flavor and is sold in bunches which can be found in the produce section of most local grocery stores. In addition to it’s delicious unique flavor, watercress is packed full of vitamins. It is sometimes called one of the “superfoods” and some research suggests that it may even help prevent cancer.
Chinese wolfberries, often called goji berries are also known as a superfood because they are rich in nutrients and antioxidants. These berries can usually be found dried in most health food stores. They are similar to raisins and add just a hint of sweetness to this soup.
For this recipe medjool dates are used rather than the traditional Chinese red dates or jujubes. The medjool dates give this soup an added bit of sweetness and an added depth of flavor. Try this nutrient packed Chinese watercress soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
4 cups Chinese chicken broth
6 ounces of watercress
6 medjool dates (or red dates)
1 tbsp dried wolfberries (also called goji berries)
½ tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp white pepper
- The recipe for the Chinese chicken broth can be found here…. You can also use a store bought broth for this as well.
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the broth on high.
- While the broth heats prepare the other ingredients. Thoroughly rinse the watercress under cold running water.
- Remove all of the pits from the dates.
- Then to the broth add the dates, wolfberries, soy sauce and white pepper. Give everything a quick stir to mix it together.
- Then add the watercress, cover, and let the soup come to a boil.
- Once the soup boils stir in the watercress.
- Then turn the heat to low, cover, and let it simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, place it in bowls and serve. Makes about 4 servings.