Math is everywhere and that includes the news and politics. So, let us combine math and news to practice place value. If you need a quick refresher before trying this exercise, refer to the article link at the bottom of this page.
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, here are the top 10 richest members of Congress and their average net worth for 2010. The names are listed out of order. It will be your job to put them in order in one of the exercises.
|Name||Average Net Worth|
|Nancy Pelosi (D-Calf)||$101,123,032|
|Jared Polis (D-Colo)||$143,218,562|
|Jane Harman (D-Calf)||$326,844,751|
|John Kerry (D-Mass)||$231,722,794|
|Mark Warner (D-VA)||$192,730,605|
|Herb Kohl (D-Wis)||$173,538,010|
|Darrell Issa (R-Calf)||$ 448,125,017|
|Vernon Buchanan (D-FLa)||$136,152,641|
|Michael McCaul (R-Texas)||$380,411,527|
|Jay Rockefeller (D-WVa)||$99,057,011|
Place Value – Identify the place value of a digit.
1. Which congressperson(s) has "8" in the thousands place?
2. Which congressperson(s) has "7" in the hundred thousands place?
3. Which congressperson(s) has "3" in the hundred millions place?
4. Which congressperson(s) has "9" in the ten millions place?
Place Value – Write each number in words.
1. According to the above table, which Congressperson is the richest? Write his/her average net worth in words.
2. Based upon the above chart, write the tenth richest congressperson's net worth in words.
3. The top ten richest congress members in Texas list Congressman Al Green with the 9th highest net worth of $4,532,505. Write his net worth in words.
Place Value – Write each number using digits.
1. The minimum net worth (not listed on the table) of the third richest congressperson is reported as one hundred sixty million, eighty-five thousand, five hundred three dollars. Write this number in standard form.
2. In the 2008 election, President Obama raised seven hundred forty-five million dollars and John McCain raised three hundred sixty-eight million dollars according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Write both numbers using digits.
3. What was the total amount of money raised?
Place Value - Comparing
1. Write the average net worth for each congressman from least to greatest.
2. Use the proper comparison symbol to compare the average net worth of Congressman John Kerry and Mark Warner.
1. Find the sum of the average net worth for Congresspersons, John Kerry and Michael McCaul.
2. What is the difference in the average net worth between
Congresspersons Nancy Pelosi and Jay Rockefeller.
3. Subtract the net worth of the congressperson ranked at # 7 from the congressperson ranked at #2.