This chicken chow mein recipe is a popular Americanized version of chow mein that uses large crispy Chinese noodles. These noodles are served on top of a delicious mixture of velveted chicken and light crispy vegetables to create the perfect balance of flavor and texture. Try this delicious chicken chow mein recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
1 bag large crispy Chinese noodles
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
5 celery stalks
˝ white onion
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 ˝ tbsp peanut oil
1 cup hot water
1 chicken bouillon cube (Maggie’s brand works best in this recipe)
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Shao hsing wine
˝ tsp garlic salt
1 tsp sugar
˝ tsp salt
1 ˝ tbsp cooking sherry
1 egg white
1 ˝ tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp peanut oil
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then cut each breast into thin 1 inch slices and place them in a bowl to be marinated.
- Add the salt and sherry and using your hand, mix these ingredients in thoroughly. Then add in the egg white and carefully mix it in with out frothing it.
- Next add the cornstarch and mix it in and then the peanut oil and mix that it as well. Then let the chicken marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Cut off both ends of each stalk and discard. Then cut the stalks into thin slices on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Remove the skin from the ˝ of onion and cut it into thin slices about the same size as the celery. Then set these aside.
- Peel the carrots and cut off the very ends and discard. Then cut them into matchsticks. These can sometimes be found already cut in the produce section of most local grocery stores.
- Next prepare the sauce. In a large cup mix together the hot water and the chicken bouillon cube and stir until it dissolves. Then mix in the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Then in a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves and then set it aside.
- Once the chicken marinates, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- When the water boils add the chicken and let it cook for about 30 seconds, or just until it turns opaque. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Next, heat a wok on high and add the peanut oil.
- When the oil is hot add the onions and stir fry them for 30 seconds.
- Then add the carrots and the celery and stir fry everything another 2 minutes.
- Then add the chicken and stir to mix it in and then add in the sauce and let it come to a boil.
- Once the sauce starts to come to a boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until the sauce becomes thick.
- Then remove it from the heat, place it in a bowl. Right before serving place the crispy noodles on top. Makes about 4 servings.