Crab and sweet corn soup is a delicious warm soup that is perfect for these cold winter days. The recipe below combines shredded crab, corn, and thin strands of egg in a creamy chicken broth base. I sometimes add a little white pepper just to give the soup an extra kick. This dish makes a great lunch served alongside a salad or egg rolls. Try this delicious crab and sweet corn soup recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
Crab meat can usually be found canned in most local grocery stores. They also sometimes sell tubs of fresh crabmeat in the seafood section. This recipe uses the canned version simply because itís more readily available and cost a bit less than the fresh.
2 6oz cans crab meat (or 12oz of fresh crab meat)
2 small green onions
3 tbsp cornstarch
4 cups chicken broth
1 large egg
1 can sweet creamed corn
2 tsp soy sauce
- Drain the crab thoroughly and shred it with a fork and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onion stalks under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the ends and about Ĺ inch from the green tops and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny slices and set them aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with cold water, just until it dissolves and then set it aside. This will be used to slightly thicken the soup.
- In another large cup, carefully crack in the egg and beat it with a fork. Then add a tablespoon of water and beat it in with the egg until itís thoroughly mixed together. Then set it aside.
- Heat the chicken broth on high and bring it to a boil. Add the corn and soy sauce and stir it in thoroughly.
- Then add the cornstarch mixture and stir for about 1 to 2 minutes, or until the soup slightly thickens. If you want the soup to have a thin consistency then you can omit the cornstarch if you wish.
- Next, add in the crab and stir to mix it in, about 30 seconds.
- Then turn off the heat and give the egg mixture a quick stir with a fork. Then while stirring the soup, slowly add the egg mixture by drizzling a thin stream into the pot.
- Once the egg is mixed in, place the soup into bowls and top each one with the green onions. Makes about 4 servings.