Egg foo young is a delicious favorite served at many of the Chinese takeout restaurants today. Normally fried with quite a bit of oil, this healthy egg foo young recipe uses cooking spray and combines egg whites with a delicious mix of healthy vegetables. Try this delicious and healthy egg foo young recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup sliced white button mushrooms
2 green onions
2 celery stalks
2 medium carrots
¼ tsp garlic salt
9 large egg whites
½ tbsp soy sauce
2 pinches of white pepper
fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 pinch of white pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Rinse the mushrooms and the bean sprouts under cold running water, dry them thoroughly with paper towels and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Cut off the base and the very top of the greens and discard. Then dice the stalks into small pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Cut off both ends of each stalk and discard. Then cut the stalks into thin slices on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Peel the carrots and cut off the very ends and discard. Then cut them into matchsticks. These can sometimes be found already cut in the produce section of most local grocery stores.
- In a large microwave safe bowl combine the bean sprouts, mushrooms, celery, and carrots. Cover them with hot water and microwave them on high for 2 minutes or just until the bean sprouts, celery and carrots are crisp tender. Run cold water over them and then drain them thoroughly and set them aside. If you prefer not to use the microwave, you can also boil them in a large pot of water until crisp tender as well.
- Next prepare the gravy. In a large cup, mix together all of the gravy ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Then in a small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves.
- Pour the gravy mixture into a small pot and heat it on high. Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until it becomes thick. Then remove it from the heat, cover, and set it aside.
- Crack the egg whites into a large bowl and add the soy sauce and white pepper. Then whisk them thoroughly until frothy.
- Make sure that the vegetables are cool to the touch and then slowly add them to the egg whites.
- Spray a flat bottomed non stick pan with cooking spray and heat it on medium high.
- Once hot add some of the egg white mixture to the center of the pan and form a circle using a large spoon or spatula. Let this cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then carefully flip the egg mixture over using a large spatula and let it cook another 1½ to 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, remove it with a spatula and place it on a plate. Then continue to cook the remaining egg mixture.
- Once all of the egg foo youngs are cooked serve them immediately topped with the gravy. I also like to add fresh parsley to the top just for presentation.
- Makes 3 servings.