Moo shu is a Chinese restaurant favorite. A flavorful mix of vegetables are wrapped in a pancake and eaten in a similar fashion as a burrito. This dish makes a fun and delicious meal for the whole family. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
15 dried wood ear mushrooms
½ head napa cabbage
2 celery stalks
1 large carrot
1 red bell pepper
2 green onions
¼ inch piece ginger
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp stir fry oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
moo shu pancakes
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine or cooking sherry
1 tsp sugar
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes or until they expand.
- While the mushrooms soak, prepare the other ingredients. Slice the Napa cabbage into thin slices about 1 inch long and set them aside.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Cut off both ends of each stalk and discard. Then cut the stalks into thin slices on a diagonal and set them aside.
- Peel the carrot and cut off the very ends and discard. Then cut it into matchsticks. These can sometimes be found already cut in the produce section of most local grocery stores.
- Cut the red bell pepper in half. Remove the stem, all of the seeds and inner white meat and discard. Then cut each half into thin slices and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it with a paper towel. Then cut off the base and about an inch or so from the tops of the greens. Chop the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Using a knife or the back of a spoon carefully peel the ginger. Then mince it and set it aside.
- Next, using the back of a large knife, carefully smash the garlic clove. This makes it easier to peel. Then peel it dice it into tiny pieces and set it aside.
- Check to see if the mushrooms have expanded. Squeeze the excess water out of them and dry them with paper towels. Then slice them into thin slices and set them aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them as if you were making scrambled eggs.
- In a small cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- Heat a wok on high and add just ½ tablespoon of the stir fry oil.
- Once the oil is hot add in the eggs and stir fry them until they are cooked through about 1 to 2 minutes. Then remove them and set them aside.
- Add the remaining 1½ tablespoons of oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the ginger, garlic, and green onions and stir fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Then add the cabbage, carrots, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms and sprinkle them with the garlic salt. Stir fry until everything is just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Then add the sauce, and the eggs and stir until everything is mixed together and heated through.
- Then remove it from the heat and serve. Serve with the moo shu pancakes and hoisin sauce.
- To assemble the moo shu, place a pancake on a plate, spread a thin vertical line of hoisin sauce, and then top with the moo shu filling. Fold in the sides and enjoy. Makes about 8 pancakes