This braised chicken with chestnuts recipe combines bite sized pieces of chicken with whole roasted chestnuts in a delicious spicy and sweet sauce. Try this delicious braised chicken with chestnuts recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
¼ tsp garlic salt
½ inch piece fresh ginger
1 green onion
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbsp peanut oil
7.5oz jarred whole roasted chestnuts (usually sold in 15 oz jars)
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 star anise
1 cup chicken broth
3 tbsp cooking sherry
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken. Then cut each breast into 1 inch to 1½ inch square pieces. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, sprinkle them with the garlic salt and set them aside.
- Next, using a knife or the back of a spoon carefully peel the ginger. Then cut it into thin slices and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold water and dry it with a paper towel. Cut off the base and the very top of the greens and discard. Then dice the remaining stalk into small pieces and set them aside.
- Break the cinnamon stick so that you have 2 smaller pieces and set them aside.
- Next in a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch and then set this mixture aside.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a little water just until it dissolves and set this mixture aside.
- Now it’s time to start cooking. Heat a wok on high. When it is hot add the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the chicken and stir fry it for 5 minutes, or until it browns. Then remove it, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Without wiping out the wok add the ginger, crushed red pepper, cinnamon sticks and star anise and stir for just 10 to 20 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Then add the chestnuts and green onion and stir fry for another 20 seconds.
- Then add the sauce mixture and return the chicken to the wok. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Then add the cornstarch mixture and turn the heat back to high. Stir until the sauce becomes thick and coats the chicken.
- Then you can remove it from the heat and serve. Makes 3 servings.