This Chinese steamed chicken recipe is delicious and simple to make. Thin sliced chicken breasts are steamed and then topped with an amazingly flavorful sauce and garnished with a little green onion. This dish can be served either as a main course or as an appetizer. Try this wonderful steamed chicken recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 fresh clove of garlic
½ inch piece of fresh ginger
1 green onion
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of seasoned rice vinegar
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of stir fry oil
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then place them on a plate that fits comfortably inside of a steamer basket.
- Heat the water for the steamer on high. Once the water boils, place the plate inside the steamer and let the chicken steam for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, prepare the other ingredients. Using the back of a large knife, carefully smash the garlic clove. This makes it easier to peel. Then peel it, mince it into tiny pieces and set these aside.
- Next, using a smaller knife or the back of a spoon, carefully peel the ginger. Once it is peeled mince it and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it thoroughly. Then cut off the base and about an inch from the top of the greens and discard. Cut the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside. This will be used to garnish the final dish.
- Then in a large cup prepare the sauce. Mix together the soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, sugar, and stir fry oil. Keep in mind that stir fry oil has the flavors of garlic, green onion, and ginger already infused into it. If you use a different oil for this then it may slightly lack in flavor.
- Once the sauce ingredients are mixed thoroughly together, add the minced garlic and ginger and stir to combine.
- Next, after the chicken has steamed for 10 minutes check to make sure that it is cooked through. You can either use a thermometer or for this recipe, since the chicken will be sliced in the final dish, simply slice it open just a little. If it is still pink in the center then steam it another 5 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, carefully remove it and place it on a cutting board, you may have to let it cool for a minute so that it is able to be touched.
- Then carefully slice it into ¼ inch or thinner pieces. Place these pieces on a plate and spoon the sauce over the slices.
- Garnish with the green onion and serve. This can either be served as a main course or as an appetizer. Makes 3 servings.