This baked char siu chicken recipe uses boneless skinless chicken breasts, which are marinated, baked, and then basted with a delicious char siu glaze. Feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thigh meat for this recipe, just make sure to adjust the cooking time so that the meat does not over cook.
This chicken can either be served as meal along side fried rice and stir fried vegetables or used in other delicious char siu recipes. Try this delicious baked char siu chicken recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
To watch a video of these instructions click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp honey
½ tbsp sesame oil
- Remove all of the fat from each breast and then place them in an ungreased baking dish to be marinated.
- Mix the marinade ingredients thoroughly together and then pour just half of it on top of the chicken breasts. Then using a fork thoroughly poke each breast. This both tenderizes and distributes the marinade in the chicken.
- Then flip each of the breasts over, pour the remaining marinade on top and again poke them with the fork.
- Then cover the chicken with plastic wrap, place it in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours take it out of the refrigerator, uncover it and preheat the oven to 400F. Let the chicken come to room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Prepare the basting sauce. In a small cup mix together all of the ingredients for the basting sauce and set this aside.
- Once the oven is preheated, place the chicken still in the marinade in the baking dish on the center rack and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes remove it from the oven and flip each breast over – then place it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, most of the marinade will evaporate and some will be caramelized to the bottom of the baking dish. At this point transfer the chicken to a baking sheet with the top sides up. They can also be grilled at this point if you prefer.
- Baste the chicken with the basting sauce and the place them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove them from the oven, flip them over and baste the other side and place them back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Then remove them and flip them one more time, baste the tops and cook them for 3 more minutes.
- Then you can remove them from the heat and serve. This chicken can now be chopped and used in a different recipe such as fried rice, or bbq buns; or it can be served along side some fried rice and stir fried vegetables. Makes 3 servings.