Shrimp with mixed vegetables is often seen on a Chinese restaurant’s menu. The bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and onions used in the recipe are a great way to incorporate vegetable in to a meal. Let me know what you think of this shrimp with mixed vegetables recipe in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
1 lb fresh large shrimp
I large green bell pepper
1 large red bell pepper
1 small crown of broccoli
2 small carrots
½ yellow onion
2 to 3 cups peanut oil
2 tbsp stir fry oil
1 tsp jarred pre chopped garlic
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp shao hsing wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp shao hsing wine
1 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- Remove the shells and tails from the shrimp. Pull the vein out that runs along the back of the shrimp.
- Then place them in a tight sealed container. Add the marinade ingredients stirring them in thoroughly. Then seal the container tightly and marinate them at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the bell peppers and dry them off completely. Then remove their stems and seeds and cut them into ½ inch squares.
- Rinse the broccoli crown under cold water. Cut it into small same sized pieces, about an inch to an inch and a half in size. Place them a microwaveable safe bowl, cover them with hot water, and microwave them on high for 3 minutes. This can be done in a pot as well if preferred.
- Once it is cooked, drain it in a colander.
- Next peel the carrots. Cut off the ends and discard, cutting the smaller end off on a diagonal. Continue cutting the carrots on a diagonal into thin slices and then set these slices aside.
- Peel the onion and cut it into ½ inch squares.
- Mix together the sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch.
- Then mix the cornstarch with some water so that it dissolves completely.
- Once the shrimp marinate, heat the peanut oil on high in a wok.
- When the oil is hot add the shrimp and cook them for 30 seconds to a minute, or just until pink. Then remove them with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain off the excess oil.
- Then remove the oil from the wok and wipe it out completely.
- Then reheat it on high. When hot add the stir fry oil and let this oil get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir fry it for about 30 seconds, or just until fragrant.
- Then add the peppers, carrots and onions and stir fry them for 3 minutes.
- Next, add the broccoli and the sauce and let the sauce come to a boil.
- When you see the sauce begin to bubble, add the cornstarch. Stir continuously until the sauce becomes thick.
- When the sauce thickens add in the shrimp and stir until everything is coated with the sauce.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes about 3 servings.