Tofu is such a versatile ingredient that takes on the flavors of what it is seasoned with and can be cook in many different ways. There are so many questions about how to cook tofu and in a previous article I explain how to fry tofu. So here is an out line of how to grill tofu.
- You want to make sure to start with a block of extra firm tofu. Tofu is usually sold in 3 different forms – soft, firm, and extra firm. The extra firm is best for both frying and grilling. This tofu usually comes packed in water found in the produce section of most local grocery stores.
- The first thing that you want to do is drain off the water and then press the block of tofu gently with paper towels or a rag to remove as much of the water as possible.
- Next, cut it into pieces that are easy to grill. The best way to cut this is lengthwise into pieces that are about ¼ inch thick. If you are planning to skewer the tofu then cut it a little thicker, up to ½ inch thick, to make room for the skewer.
- Once the pieces are cut, press them again with paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
- Now the tofu slices are ready to be seasoned. If you choose to marinate them, let them sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes. I usually prefer to sprinkle them with a little garlic salt and other seasoning salts. Make sure to season both sides of the tofu slices.
- Once the tofu marinates or is seasoned, brush both sides with a little oil. Here you can use stir fry oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil, or even olive oil if you choose. Brushing the tofu with oil keeps it from sticking to the grill. You can also brush the grill with oil as well.
- Then it is time to grill the tofu. Make sure that the grill is preheated to medium high and then add the tofu slices. Let them cook for about 2 minutes without touching them. Keep in mind that cooking times may differ here depending on the type of grill that you have. The goal is to get nice grill marks on either side of the tofu pieces.
- After 2 minutes flip the tofu pieces over and let them cook for another 1 ½ minutes or until they have nice grill marks on the other side.
- Then you can remove the tofu from the grill, place the pieces on a plate and serve. This is perfect served on top of a fresh green salad. Enjoy!