Chinese barbecue is different from the tomato based or mustard based barbecue dishes traditionally seen in the US. These Chinese barbecue chicken skewers are first marinated with a mix of soy sauce and sherry and then basted with a delicious honey hoisin sauce giving them an amazing sweet and savory flavor.
To watch a video on how I make these Chinese barbecue chicken skewers at home click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp cooking sherry
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp peanut oil
- Remove the fat from each of the breasts of chicken and then cut them into Ĺ inch pieces. Place these pieces in a large bowl and add the sherry and soy sauce and then using your hand mix these ingredients in thoroughly.
- Next, skewer the chicken pieces onto 4 separate skewers. I prefer to use long metal skewers because they are easier to flip when placed on the grill. You can also use bamboo skewers if you prefer, just make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before cooking so that they donít burn. Also when skewering the chicken place a large baking sheet under the entire skewer so that the raw chicken juices remain contained on the sheet. Then simply keep the finished skewers on the sheet until they are ready to grill.
- Once the chicken is skewered, heat a grill on high and prepare the basting sauce. In a small cup mix together the hoisin sauce, honey and peanut oil. Stir until the consistency becomes smooth.
- When the grill is hot add my skewers and let them cook for about 3 minutes, or just until they have a few nice grill marks. Keep in mind that all grills cook differently and depending on the type of grill you have you may need to adjust the heat for this recipe.
- Once they have nice grill marks on one side flip them over, baste the tops with the basting sauce, and then let them cook another 3 minutes.
- After another 3 minutes flip them again and baste the other side. Then let them cook for 2 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on them at this point since the cooking time may differ depending on your grill type; and the basting sauce may burn if left on one side too long.
- Then flip them one more time and let them cook another 2 minutes. After 2 minutes you can remove them from the grill and serve. This makes 4 skewers and is great served with a side of fried rice.