2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (small, about 1 lb)
1 green onion
2 tsp cornstarch
20 wonton wrappers
½ tsp soy sauce
½ tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
1/8 tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp hot chili oil (add more if you like the additional heat)
1 tsp cornstarch
- Remove most of the fat from the chicken breasts and then cut each one into tiny pieces. The easiest way to do this is first cut the breast in half long ways (butterflying.) Then cut thin strips lengthwise, and finally cross cut these strips to form tiny pieces. Then place these chicken pieces in a bowl and set them aside.
- Rinse the green onion, dry it thoroughly and then dice it and add it to the chicken pieces.
- Then add all of the ingredients for the marinade to the chicken except for the cornstarch. Mix everything in well.
- Once all the other ingredients are mixed in, then add the cornstarch and mix it in and set this chicken filling aside.
- Next prepare the sealer for the wontons. Mix together the 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with just a little water until it dissolves.
- Now it’s time to wrap the wontons. Place a wonton wrapper on a plate or work surface. These wrappers can usually be found in most large grocery stores in the produce section.
- First use a finger to spread the sealer (the cornstarch mixture) along all of the edges of the wrapper.
- Then place about a teaspoon full of the mixture in the center.
- Now you can wrap these any way you prefer. For this recipe I make them into little packages. To do this first bring two opposite corners together on top of the filling and pinch them. Then bring one of the other corners to meet the first two corners and pinch them and the sides to seal. Then repeat this with the final corner. Placed the finished wonton on a plate and continue wrapping the remaining wontons.
- Once all the wontons are done, line the bamboo steamer basket with a piece of wax paper. Cut it to fit with an inch or so along the edges. If you are using an aluminum steamer, you can simply grease the bottom with a little peanut oil. Then place the wontons on the wax paper.
- Bring the water to boil for the steamer, place the steamer basket on top, then cover and let them steam for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes carefully remove the lid and immediately transfer the wontons to a plate and serve. Makes about 20 wontons.