This sweet soy glazed salmon has pieces of pan fried salmon that are tossed in a sticky sweet flavorful sauce made with shiitakes mushrooms. This is perfect served on a bed of white steamed rice.
To see a video of instructions on how to make this soy glazed salmon recipe click here.
1 large piece boneless skinless salmon (3/4 lb.)
1 green onion
ľ piece ginger
4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
Sauce (glaze) Ingredients:
ľ cup dry sherry
2 tbsp regular soy sauce
2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
1 tbsp cornstarch
- First place the salmon in the freezer for 20 minutes. This makes it much easier to cut. Then cut it into large pieces about the size of 1Ĺ to 2 inch squares.
- Rinse and dry the green onion and then cut off the base and discard. Then dice the remaining stalk and set these pieces aside.
- Remove the skin from the ginger and then mince it.
- Clean the mushrooms by gently wiping off any dirt with a damp towel. Then cut off the stems and save them for another recipe, and cut the caps into quarters and set them aside.
- Next in a large cup combine all of the ingredients for the sauce except for the cornstarch. If you have trouble finding the thick dark soy sauce, you can just use a tablespoon of regular soy sauce in its place. Keep in mind this sauce is sweet and sticky, more like a glaze. If you donít care for sweet sauces or youíre watching your sugar intake, you can reduce the sugar here by half or more as desired.
- Then in a smaller cup mix the cornstarch with a little bit of cold water and stir until the cornstarch dissolves thoroughly.
- Now we can start cooking, heat the wok on high and add about a Ĺ inch of peanut oil to the bottom.
- Once itís hot add the salmon and let it cook for about 1 minute on one side.
- Then flip it over and let it cook another minute or two, or just until it is cooked through.
- Then just remove the salmon slices from the wok, draining off the excess oil, and place them on a plate and set them aside.
- Next take all of the oil out of the wok except for 1 tablespoon and heat this on high.
- When itís hot add the mushrooms, ginger and green onions and stir fry them for 1 minute.
- Then add the sauce, making sure to get all of the sugar out of the bottom and let this come to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the cornstarch mixture and stir until it becomes thick like a glaze.
- Then turn off the heat and carefully add the salmon pieces stirring them gently until they are all glazed with the sauce.
- Then you can remove them from the wok and serve. These are perfect served on a bed of white steamed rice. Makes 1 to 2 servings.