This Chinese crock pot garlic chicken recipe is easy to make and perfect for the cold days ahead. To watch a video on how to cook this crock pot garlic chicken recipe at home click here.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs.)
3 medium carrots
2 celery stalks
4 garlic cloves
¼ cup chicken broth (Maggi cubes work best for this recipe)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- Remove as much of the fat as possible from the chicken breasts and then cut them into 1½ inch pieces. Place these chicken pieces in the bottom of a crock pot. I use a 4 quart crock pot for this recipe.
- Peel the carrots and cut off the ends and discard. Then cut the remaining carrot stalks on a diagonal into ¼ inch thick pieces and set them aside.
- Rinse the celery stalks under cold running water and dry them thoroughly. Then cut off the ends and discard and cut the remaining stalks on a diagonal the same thickness as the carrot slices. Set these aside with the carrots.
- Using the back of a knife, firmly smash the garlic cloves (this makes the peels come off easier) and remove the peels. Then mince them and set them aside.
- In a large cup mix together the chicken broth, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, and minced garlic. To use the Maggi cubes simply add one to a cup of hot water and stir until it dissolves completely. Then pour out ¾ of the cup of prepared broth and save it for another recipe and use the remaining ¼ of a cup for this sauce.
- Next place all of the carrots and celery in the crock pot evenly on top of the chicken.
- Then pour the sauce on top of everything, cover and turn the heat to high. Let this cook for 1 hour.
- After an hour, turn the heat to low and let it cook for 3 more hours.
- After 3 hours turn off the heat and carefully remove the lid. The pieces of chicken should be slightly stuck together. Using a large spoon gently break up these chicken pieces. The chicken will be very soft so take care not to shred it, just break it into nice pieces.
- Then you can place the garlic chicken on a plate and serve. This is great served with a white steamed rice, simply place the rice on a plate, then some of the chicken on top, and spoon the juices on top of the chicken and enjoy. Makes about 3 servings.