Sea scallops are a delicious treat and are easy to steam. This recipe uses medium wild caught fresh scallops, which are shelled. These are widely available and can be found in most local grocery stores at the fish counter. These scallops are simple to make and are flavored with a simple mix of soy sauce and vinegar. Try this delicious steamed scallops recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum found here. Enjoy!
12 sea scallops (medium wild caught and shelled – about 1 pound)
1 green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- For this recipe you will need two medium sized bowls and a tiered steamer with 2 steaming baskets. Each of the bowls should fit comfortably inside of each of the steamer baskets.
- Place 6 sea scallops in each bowl and then place each bowl inside each of the steamer baskets and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onion under running water and dry it thoroughly. Then cut off the ends and discard, and cut the remaining stalk into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Next take ½ tablespoon of the soy sauce and drizzle it evenly over the scallops in one of the bowls. Then take the remaining ½ tablespoon of the soy sauce and drizzle it over the other bowl of scallops.
- Do the same as above with the seasoned rice vinegar.
- Then just top each of the scallops with the diced green onion.
- Now they are ready to steam. Heat the water for your steamer on high and let it come to a boil.
- Once it boils stack the steamer baskets on top of each other, cover, and let them steam for just 5 minutes. We don’t want to cook them any longer than this because they can easily over cook and will end up being tough and rubbery.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the heat and carefully remove the lid and remove the baskets immediately from the steam.
- Then place the bowls on separate plates and serve. This is great served with a side of white steamed rice. The steamed scallops create a flavorful broth in the bowl that is delicious when soaked up into the white steamed rice, enjoy. Makes 2 servings.