This fried rice recipe is simple to make and can be tailored to your own tastes by adding or substituting your preferred ingredients. This recipe provides a basic outline of a vegetable fried rice using a simple mix of carrots, peas, onion, and egg. Any other meats or vegetables that you may love or have left over can be added to this recipe. This rice can also be made ahead of time and served as a side dish. It makes a great meal served alongside grilled chicken or pan fried fish. To watch a video on how to make this quick and easy fried rice at home click here.
3 cups of cold leftover white cooked rice
¼ of a large sweet white onion
8oz frozen peas and carrots
3 tbsp peanut oil
1 large egg
1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cold rice is needed for this recipe because it creates the texture for the fried rice. If you use warm rice it may end up being too mushy in texture. Cold rice often forms lumps so the first step is to break up any lumps using your hands. Then set the rice aside at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Next remove the skin from the onion and dice it into small pieces and set them aside.
- Then place the frozen peas and carrots in a microwaveable safe bowl and microwave them for about 1 to 2 minutes on high, or until they are thawed, but not cooked completely through.
- Next heat a deep non stick pot or wok on high.
- Once it is hot add the peanut oil and wait until it becomes hot as well.
- When the oil is hot add the onion and stir fry it for 1 minute, or until it becomes soft and the edges slightly brown.
- Then add in the rice and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is completely heated through.
- Then with a spatula make a well in the center of the rice and crack the egg directly into this well. Use the spatula to scramble the egg right in the center of the pot until it is cooked through, about 30 seconds.
- Once the egg is cooked through mix it evenly into the rice using the spatula.
- When the egg is thoroughly incorporated in the rice add the defrosted peas and carrots and the soy sauce. Stir everything together and let it cook for 1 more minute, or until the peas and carrots are heated through.
- Then you can remove the rice from the heat and serve, enjoy. Makes about 3 to 4 servings.