Steamed eggs are quite common in Chinese cuisine and can have added meats and vegetables, but this is the basic low calorie version of this healthy and delicious dish.
For this dish you will need a steamer and a medium sized bowl that fits comfortably inside of your steamer’s basket. You will also need a plate or another dish that sits comfortably on top of the bowl so that the eggs can be steamed properly. Plastic wrap can be used as well, but a dish is preferred.
To watch a video on how to make this healthy low calorie dish at home click here.
1 small green onion
2 medium eggs
½ cup chicken broth – at room temperature
- Rinse the green onion under running water and dry it completely. Then dice it and set these pieces aside, this is going to be the garnish for this dish.
- Next, crack the eggs in a medium bowl. Make sure that this bowl fits comfortably inside your steamer basket. Then using a fork scramble them as if you were making scrambled eggs.
- Then add the chicken broth and mix it in thoroughly. Make sure that this is at room temperature so that the heat from the broth does not cook the eggs as it is added.
- After the broth is mixed in there will be bubbles on the top of the egg mixture. Using a large spoon, try to remove as many of these bubbles as possible. Removing these makes the eggs smoother on top when cooked.
- Once the bubbles are removed, carefully place the bowl inside the steamer basket. Then place the plate or dish on top, you can also cover it with plastic wrap, but it may get a bit messy and the egg may squeeze out and under the bowl if you use this method.
- Next bring about 1 to 2 inches of water in the steamer base to a boil.
- Once it boils carefully place the steamer basket with the egg mixture on top, cover, and turn the heat down to low. These eggs need to be steamed at a low temperature so that the texture comes out light and smooth. Let this steam for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes carefully remove the lid and then lift the steamer basket off of the base. Place the basket on a heatproof surface and using tongs slowly lift the bowl out of the basket.
- Then remove the plate or dish from the top and garnish the eggs with the diced green onion and serve. This makes 1 serving.