These sweet and sour chicken wonton cups are the perfect party appetizer. They are quick and easy to make and can be made the day before which makes them perfect for large parties.
20 wonton wrappers
21oz pre cooked chunk white chicken (7oz bags of Sweet Sue Chicken Breast works wonderful in this recipe)
¾ cup sweet and sour sauce – (I normally use Lee Choy brand, and you can also use either a sweet and sour sauce or a duck sauce here)
1 red bell pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using two - twelve cup muffin pans, push each wonton wrapper into a muffin cup. The wrappers won’t fill up the whole cup and there is no need to spray them with cooking spray. Just press each one into the bottom and around the edges. Bake both trays for about 8 minutes or until the top edges of the wontons are brown.
- Then remove the wonton cups from the muffin pans and let them cool on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes.
- While the wonton cups are cooling, prepare the filling. Start by first draining the water from the chicken package. Even though most packages say that there is no need to drain, I’ve found that there is still a bit of water in them. It is best to drain them just in case.
- Mix together the chicken and the sweet and sour sauce in a bowl. Be sure not to break up the chunks of chicken while mixing, we want them to be large and whole in the wonton cups instead of shredded like chicken salad. Then set this mixture aside.
- Next, slice the red bell pepper into thin strips and then cut the strips diagonally into thirds so that you have small slivers.
- Now we can fill the wonton cups. Place the wonton cups on a plate and fill them with the chicken mixture. Then top each one with a red pepper piece and serve. These can be made ahead of time by following the instructions below. Makes 20 sweet and sour chicken wonton cup appetizers.
Both the chicken mixture and the wonton cups can be made ahead of time, but do not fill the wonton cups until right before they are served. Keep the wontons covered with plastic at room temperature, and store the chicken mixture, covered in the refrigerator.