Fresh shrimp seasoned with ginger, lime and five spice tossed with shredded broccoli and carrots and served in crisp lettuce leaves makes the perfect meal for the summer. This recipe serves 3 and makes about 2 to 3 wraps each.
This recipe uses pre made broccoli slaw that is simply a mix of shredded broccoli and carrots. This can usually be found in most local grocery stores, bagged in the produce section. Using this mix saves time, but if you have trouble finding it you can simply just shred a 3 to 1 mix of broccoli and carrots.
1 ½ lbs. fresh medium shrimp
¾ tsp salt
3 green onions
1 inch piece fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
12oz bag broccoli slaw
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 whole lime (for zest)
1 head of Bibb or iceberg lettuce
- First clean the shrimp by peeling off the shells and tails. Then devein them making sure to remove the veins that run lengthwise down both sides of the shrimp. To save time try to find fresh shrimp that have already been peeled and deveined.
- Once cleaned, place the shrimp in a bowl and toss them with just ¼ tsp of the salt and set them aside while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and then cut off the bases and discard. Then dice both the white and green parts and set them aside.
- Peel and grate the ginger and set it aside.
- Peel the garlic and dice it and set it aside with the ginger and green onions.
- Place the broccoli slaw in a large bowl and add the remaining ½ teaspoon of salt, the diced green onions, grated ginger, diced garlic, ground coriander, five spice powder, and just one tablespoon of the peanut oil. Then grate the rind of the lime into this mixture; this will make about 1 ½ teaspoons of lime zest. Once the lime is grated stir to mix everything together thoroughly and then set this mixture aside.
- Next, remove the leaves from the head of lettuce keeping them as whole as possible. Then rinse them under cold running water and dry each of them thoroughly. Set these leaves on a plate, these will be used as the “cups” for the shrimp mixture.
- Now it’s time to cook the shrimp. Heat a wok on high and once it is hot add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let that get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the shrimp and stir fry them for about 2 ½ to 3 minutes, or just until they turn pink. Then remove them from the wok and set them aside.
- Keeping the wok on high add the broccoli slaw mixture and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes, or just until it is crisp-tender. Then remove the wok from the heat, add in the shrimp and stir to mix everything together.
- To serve you can either place a little of this mixture into each of the lettuce leaves; or you can serve the lettuce leaves on the side allowing each guest to make their own lettuce wraps. Makes about 3 servings.