Chinese cold sesame noodles are a favorite at most restaurants. Cold egg noodles tossed with julienned carrot and cucumber in a flavorful sesame sauce is perfect as a side dish or a light meal.
Chinese sesame paste is made from ground toasted sesame seeds and can usually be found in most Asian grocery stores. If you have trouble finding it you can simply use a smooth peanut butter mixed with toasted sesame oil.
8oz vermicelli or Chinese egg noodles
1 small cucumber
1 small carrot
1 green onion
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter plus 1 tsp toasted (dark) sesame oil, or if you can find it use Chinese sesame paste
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
1 tsp Shao hsing wine
1 ½ tsp chili paste
1 tsp sugar
- First prepare the vegetables. Peel the carrot, cut off the ends and discard them; and then julienne the stalk.
- Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds. Then julienne this the same as the carrot and set them aside together.
- Rinse the green onion under cold running water and dry it thoroughly. Then cut off the ends and discard and dice the remaining stalk, both the green and white parts into small pieces and set them aside.
- Next prepare the ingredients for the sauce. Lightly smash the garlic with the back of a spoon and then remove the peel. Dice the garlic and set these pieces in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the sauce to the bowl and set it aside.
- Heat a large pot of water on high and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils take 2 tablespoons of the water and add it to the sauce ingredients. Stir until all of the ingredients are blended and smooth and then set it aside.
- Next add the noodles to the boiling water and let them cook until “al dente,” this usually takes about 5 minutes depending on the type of noodle.
- Once they are done, drain them in a colander and run cold running water over them until they are cool to the touch. Then drain them thoroughly, place them in a large bowl and toss them with the sauce, carrots and cucumber.
- Dived the noodles among 4 to 5 bowls and then top each serving with the white sesame seeds and diced green onion. This makes 4 to 5 servings of cold Chinese sesame noodles.