Moon cakes and moon cake biscuits are made for the Chinese Moon festival, also known as the Mid-Autumn festival. Moon cake biscuits are made with the same dough as regular moon cakes, but without the filling. I usually make these biscuits with any left over dough that I may have from making moon cakes.
½ cup of the golden syrup
1/3 cup of peanut oil
1 tsp lye water
1¾ cups all purpose flour + more for dusting
- In a large bowl whisk together the golden syrup, peanut oil and lye water. Keep whisking for 3 minutes and then slowly add in the flour a little at a time while still whisking.
- Once the mixture starts to become thick, remove the whisk and fold in any remaining flour using a large spoon.
- When the flour it mixed in use your hand and knead it for 30 seconds.
- Then cover it making sure to push the plastic around the dough and let it rest for a minimum of 4 hours to overnight.
- After it rests, remove the plastic and prepare a baking sheet by lightly greasing it with a little peanut or vegetable oil on a paper towel.
- Then preheat the oven to 325F.
- Now to shape these biscuits you can use any mold you prefer. I usually use bear and bunny egg molds for this recipe. The egg molds come apart so that there are two separate halves, of which I just use one half.
- So take a piece of dough that is about the same size as your mold and roll it into a smooth ball.
- Then lightly flour the outside by dipping it into a bowl of all purpose flour and using your hand to rub off the excess. Be sure not to have too much flour on the dough or the mold face won’t show up in detail. You just want to have a very light dusting.
- Then take it and press it firmly into your mold, making sure that it gets into all of the sections of the mold. Then scrape away any excess that there may be coming out along the edges.
- Now to remove the dough lightly bang it on all sides so that the dough pulls slightly away from the mold. Then turn it upside on either a plate or the palm of your hand it should easily fall out. If it doesn’t come out easily, try banging it a little harder and make sure that the dough pulls away from the mold on all sides.
- Then place the shaped biscuit on the greased baking sheet and continue making biscuits with the remaining dough.
- When all the biscuits are made place them in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Then make an egg wash by beating the egg in a small bowl and adding just a teaspoon of water and beating this together.
- After 10 minutes remove the biscuits and brush them lightly with the egg wash. Then place them back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove them and brush them with the egg wash a second time, and place them back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- After 5 minutes remove the moon cake biscuits from the oven and serve, enjoy!
To see a video of instructions on how to make moon cake biscuits click here.
To learn how to make Chinese moon cakes click here.