This spicy garlic tofu recipe combines garlic fried tofu cubes with bell peppers and Thai chili peppers in a delicious spicy flavorful sauce. If you are vegetarian there is an oyster sauce made with mushrooms in place of actual oysters. This can be found at most Chinese grocery stores as well as specialty shops.
1 package of extra firm tofu
1 tsp garlic salt
½ green bell pepper
½ red bell pepper
1 clove garlic
peanut oil for frying
½ tbsp hot chili oil
8 dried Thai chili peppers
1 tbsp hot chili garlic sauce
2 tbsp of oyster sauce (if you are vegetarian use mushroom oyster sauce, which is made without oysters)
- Remove the tofu from the package draining it from the water that it is packed in. Then blot it thoroughly with a dry towel.
- Next, cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes and then blot the cubes again with the towel making sure to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Then sprinkle the cubes evenly with the garlic salt and set them aside.
- Wash the pepper halves and thoroughly and dry them, making sure to remove the stems, seeds and inner white meat. Then cut these halves into ½ inch pieces and set them aside.
- Using a knife carefully smash the garlic so that the peel comes off easily. Then dice it and set it aside.
- Next cook the tofu by heating a thin layer of peanut oil in the bottom of a wok on high.
- When the oil is hot, add the tofu cubes, making sure not to over crowd the wok. You may have to cook this in batches depending on the size of your wok. Let them cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides. Then remove them, draining off any excess oil and set them on a plate.
- Remove all of the peanut oil from the wok except for 1 tablespoon and add the chili oil to this and heat both oils on high.
- Once hot add the garlic and the Thai chili peppers and stir fry them for just 10 seconds.
- Then add the bell peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes, or until they are crisp – tender.
- Then add the fried tofu, hot chili garlic sauce and the oyster sauce. Stir until everything is combined and coated with the sauce. Then you can remove it from the heat and serve. This is perfect served over white steamed rice and makes about 3 servings of spicy garlic tofu.