Zha jiang mian, or za jiang mein 炸酱面 is a traditional Chinese noodle dish that consists of thick noodles topped with a minced meat sauce that is made with bean paste. Shanghai noodles are usually used in this dish, however, you can use any noodle that you prefer; both udon and linguini are good choices as well. If you try this recipe, I would love to know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Please stop by and leave your input, Enjoy!
1 lb. Shanghai noodles (udon or linguini noodles)
1.5 lbs. ground pork
6 green onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp shaohsing wine
2 tbsp broad bean paste
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp peanut oil
- Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and then drain them and place them in a large bowl. Add one tablespoon of the peanut oil and stir it thoroughly into the noodles. Then let them sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water and then dry them thoroughly and dice both the green and white parts.
- Remove the skin from the garlic cloves, mince them and set them aside.
- Peel the cucumber and then remove the seeds. Julienne the remaining meat of the cucumber and then place these shreds in a bowl and set them aside.
- Next heat a wok on high and then add the remaining tablespoon of peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot add the green onions and garlic and stir fry for just 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Then add the ground pork and stir fry it, breaking it up into small bits and cooking it until it is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Then drain off any excess liquid.
- Then to the pork add the wine and stir it in. Then add the bean paste and hoisin sauce and stir fry everything for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the soy sauce and chicken broth and stir until everything is combined and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Then remove it from the heat. Place the noodles into 4 separate bowls and place some of the meat sauce on top of each portion. Then place some of the julienned cucumbers on top of the sauce and serve immediately, enjoy.