Thin sliced beef cooked using the process of “velveting,” which gives it a tender moist texture is stir fried with white onion and tossed in a delicious oyster sauce. This dish is simple to make and served on top of white steamed rice, makes an easy and tasty meal, enjoy.
1½ lb. lean beef (flank steak or tenderloin)
1 clove garlic
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
1 large white onion
1 tbsp peanut oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
½ tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp peanut oil
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sherry
1 tsp sugar
- Remove any excess fat from the meat and then slice it across the grain into thin, wide pieces about 1 inch wide by 1½ inches in length. Then place the sliced beef in a bowl to be marinated.
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade and mix it in thoroughly. Then let the beef marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Peel the garlic and dice it.
- Peel the ginger, mince it, and set it aside with the garlic.
- Peel the onion and cut it into 1 inch pieces and set them aside.
- In a small cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Once the beef marinates, bring a large pot of water to a boil. The beef will be pre cooked by boiling it first. This seals in the moisture and is a Chinese cooking process called “velveting.”
- When the water boils, add the sliced beef and let it cook for just 30 seconds, stirring to break up the pieces. Then carefully remove the beef with a slotted spoon, draining it completely. Place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Next heat a wok on high and let it get hot. Then add the tablespoon of peanut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the garlic and the ginger and stir fry for just 15 seconds.
- Then add the onion and let it cook until just slightly soft, about 3 minutes.
- Then add the beef and cook for another minute and then add in the sauce. Stir until everything is coated with the sauce and then it is ready to serve. This makes about 3 servings and is delicious served on top of white steamed rice, enjoy.