1 block of extra firm tofu
1 tsp garlic salt
8oz fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 green onion
peanut oil for frying
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 clove garlic
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Remove the tofu from the packaging and dry it thoroughly with paper towels.
- Then place it on its larger side and slice it into thin slices about ¼ inch in thickness (this should make about 8 pieces.) Press each of these slices with a towel to thoroughly dry them and remove all of the moisture. Then sprinkle them with just ½ teaspoon of the garlic salt and let them stand while preparing the other ingredients.
- Wipe any dirt off of the shiitakes using a damp towel and then cut off and discard the stems. You can also save them for soups or chop them up in salads as well.
- Next cut the shiitake caps into thin slices about the same size as the tofu and sprinkle them with the remaining garlic salt and let them sit at room temperature.
- Next wash and thoroughly dry the green onion and then dice it and set it aside.
- Then peel the garlic for the sauce and mince it.
- In a cup mix together all of the ingredients for the sauce
- In a large frying pan heat about ¼ inch of peanut oil on high.
- When the oil is hot add the tofu slices and let them cook on one side for about 6 to 7 minutes, or until brown. Then flip them and let them cook another 6 minutes or until they brown on the other side.
- Once both sides are brown remove them and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- Then remove all of the oil from the pan except for 1 tablespoon and heat it on high.
- Once it is hot add the mushrooms and cook them for about 1½ minutes on each side. Then remove them from the heat and create the tofu stacks.
- Set out four plates and on each plate place a piece of the tofu then drizzle them with a little sauce and place one or two mushrooms on top. Then place another piece of tofu on the mushrooms and drizzle it with sauce and then one more mushroom on top.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce on top and then sprinkle on the green onions for garnish and serve immediately. This makes about 4 tofu and mushroom stacks, enjoy.