Crispy lettuce leaves filled with strips of seasoned lean chicken, julienned carrots, cucumbers, red bell peppers and green onions are perfect for a healthy summer lunch. This recipe also makes a great cocktail party appetizer as well. Try this chicken lettuce rolls recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum, enjoy.
1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
½ tsp garlic salt
4 green onions
1 small English cucumber
1 red bell pepper
2 tsp stir fry oil
¼ tsp garlic salt
2 tsp seasoned rice vinegar
¼ inch piece fresh ginger
2 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
8 to 10 large lettuce leaves
8 to 10 toothpicks
- Remove as much fat from the chicken breasts as possible and then cut them into thin strips about 2 inches to 2 and ½ inches in length. Then place them in a bowl and sprinkle them with the garlic salt, mixing it in thoroughly. Let this sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Peel the carrot and then julienne it and set it aside.
- Rinse off the green onions and dry them thoroughly. Then julienne them and set them aside with the carrots.
- Next rinse and then julienne the cucumber and place it with the other vegetables.
- Rinse the red bell pepper and then cut it in half, discarding the stem, seeds and inner white meat. Then julienne this just like the other vegetables.
- Place all of the julienned carrots, green onions, cucumbers and bell peppers in a large non-metallic bowl. Then add the stir-fry oil, ¼ teaspoon of garlic salt, and seasoned rice vinegar and mix it in thoroughly. Let these vegetables sit while preparing to cook the chicken.
- Next peel the ginger and then mince it.
- Then heat a wok on high and let it get hot and add the peanut oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the ginger and stir-fry it for just 20 seconds. Then add the chicken strips and stir fry them until they lightly brown, about 7 minutes.
- Then add the soy sauce and stir-fry for just another minute. Then remove the chicken from the wok and place it on a plate to cool.
- Next prepare the lettuce leaves. You may use any type of lettuce leaf for this recipe that you prefer. I personally love using the iceberg lettuce because of the crispness of it.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves thoroughly and then dry them thoroughly with towels.
- Once they are completely dry begin filling the leaves. Place a leaf on a plate long ways and then place a few of the chicken strips and some of each of the different vegetables towards on side of the lettuce. Then roll it up and secure it with a toothpick. Continue rolling each leaf until they are done. Then serve immediately. This makes 8 to 10 chicken lettuce rolls.