Shrimp and mango salad is another light and easy summer dish. This recipe calls for pre cooked shrimp, which can usually be found freshly cooked at the seafood counter of many grocery stores. The almonds can sometimes be found already toasted as well as the mango already diced. Purchasing these pre-prepped items saves time when you need a quick and healthy meal.
32 medium Shrimp – precooked
¼ tsp salt
2 small mangos
3oz Cellophane noodles
½ cup sliced almonds
1 large head of napa cabbage
12oz baby spinach
2 tbsp honey
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- Precooked shrimp can usually be purchased at the seafood counter of most grocery stores. This saves time when putting these salads together. If you choose to cook the shrimp from scratch, make sure to first clean and devein them and then simply poach them for about 3 to 5 minutes, or just until they turn pink and their tails curl.
- Place the cooked shrimp in a bowl and squeeze the lime half over them. Then sprinkle them with the salt and toss to coat thoroughly. Then place them in the refrigerator while preparing the other ingredients.
- Peel the mangos and dice them, making sure to remove and discard the large seeds in the center.
- Soak the cellophane noodles in a large bowl of warm water. Let them soak for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are soft and then drain them thoroughly and set them aside; separating them into 4 equal portions.
- Place the almonds in a frying pan with no oil and turn the heat to medium low. Fry them for about 2 to 3 minutes, tossing them frequently, until they are lightly browned.
- Chop the napa cabbage into large chunks and rinse them under cold running water and then drain them thoroughly.
- Next mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing in a cup.
- Now make the salads by first placing a layer of the napa cabbage on each plate. Then place a layer of baby spinach on top. Then place each of the portions of cellophane noodles on top of the spinach.
- Add some of the mango to each salad and then 8 shrimp on top of each. Then sprinkle the toasted almonds on top.
- Finally, drizzle with the dressing and serve. This makes 4 shrimp and mango salads, enjoy.