This Chinese chicken and celery salad recipe has thin sliced chicken with celery, matchstick carrots and green onions tossed in a delicious ginger vinaigrette and served on a bed of crisp iceberg lettuce. This is perfect for these warm summer months, enjoy.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs.)
Ĺ tsp salt
6 stalks of celery
3 green onions
A head of iceberg lettuce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 inch fresh ginger
3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
6 tbsp evoo
- Remove all of the fat from the chicken and then slice each breast into 1 inch slices. Place these slices in a bowl and sprinkle them with the salt and mix this in thoroughly. Then let the chicken sit at room temperature while preparing the other ingredients.
- Rinse, dry, and then slice the celery on an angle into thin slices and set them aside.
- Peel the carrots and julienne them. You can also use pre shredded carrots, which can usually be found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
- Rinse the green onions and dry them thoroughly. Then cut off the bases and discard, and dice both the white and green parts and set them with the celery and carrots.
- Pull off the outer leaves of the head of lettuce and discard. Then remove the stem and roughly chop the remaining leaves and set them aside.
- Next cook the chicken by first heating the oil on medium high. Then add the chicken and cook it until it browns just slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Then remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- While the chicken cools prepare the dressing by first peeling the piece of ginger and then mincing it.
- Next mix all the dressing ingredients including the minced ginger in a cup and whisk them until they are thoroughly combined.
- Then once the chicken is cool to the touch, mix it with the celery, carrots and green onion. Add the dressing and toss.
- To serve set out 3 plates and first place some of the iceberg lettuce on each one. Then place the chicken and celery mixture on top and serve, enjoy.