I was first introduced to egg drop soup, also known as egg flower soup, when I was very young. Every once in a while my father would make it for lunch. It was especially good on a cold wintry afternoon. When I was old enough he taught me the basics of this delicious dish, which I’ve adapted to create my own version.
Basic egg drop soup is comprised of small thin strands of egg in a chicken broth base. Almost any vegetable or spice can be added to this basic soup to give it more flavor and texture. If you search for an egg drop soup recipe, you will find there are hundreds of variations. The version that follows is a quick and easy base recipe which can be served as is, or added to depending on your tastes. Following the recipe is a list of ingredients that are commonly added to egg drop soup. Experiment and create your own version of this warm wonderful soup.
To see a video of these instructions click here.
4 cups chicken broth
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sherry
2 small green onions
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
1 large egg
1 tbsp water
- In a large pot combine the chicken broth, white pepper, ground ginger, garlic powder, and sherry. Set this mixture aside.
- Rinse the green onion stalks under cold running water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the ends and about ½ inch from the green tops and discard. Cut the remaining stalks into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- In a small cup mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then set it aside.
- In another large cup, add the egg and beat it with a fork. Then add the water and beat it in with the egg until it’s thoroughly mixed together.
- Heat the soup mixture on high and bring it to a boil.
- Once it boils, add the cornstarch mixture and stir for about 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and give the egg mixture a quick stir with a fork. Then while stirring the soup, slowly add the egg mixture by drizzling a thin stream into the pot.
- Then place it into bowls to serve and top with the green onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
cloud ears or wood ears
bagged shredded coleslaw
pork or chicken
5 spice powder
hot chili garlic sauce