Duck sauce also known as plum sauce is a delicious sweet and sour sauce made from either plums or apricots, or a combination of the two. The origin of its name is somewhat confusing since there are no duck ingredients used in the sauce, and it is not traditionally used on duck itself in authentic Chinese cuisine. However, this amazing sauce brings a wonderful flavor to many different dishes and can be found in most Chinese restaurants here in the US today. In these restaurants this sauce is mainly used as a dipping sauce for egg rolls and other fried battered treats. It is also makes a great basting sauce for chicken, fish, and even ribs. Added to stir fries it gives the final dish an amazing boost of flavor. It is great in almost any dish and can usually be found in the ethnic section of your local grocery store. Experiment with this wonderful sauce by adding just a bit it to your next dish. Enjoy!
1 medium orange
2 cloves garlic
1/8 piece fresh ginger
4 sprigs of fresh cilantro
¼ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
¼ tsp jalapeño vinegar
2 tbsp peanut oil
4 tbsp fruit only plum or apricot preserves
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
½ tsp ground mustard
- Rinse the orange under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Grate the peel of the orange until it make one teaspoon full and set it aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange into a small cup so that you have 2 tablespoons full and then set it aside.
- Peel the garlic and chop it into small pieces and set them aside.
- Peel the ginger and grate it and then set it aside. The easiest way to do this is to use a large piece of ginger and peel just 1/8 of an inch of it without chopping it into this small of a piece. Then grate it using the unpeeled part as a handle to grate with.
- Rinse the cilantro under cold running water and dry it with paper towels. Then chop it into small pieces and set them aside.
- In a small cup mix together both of the vinegars, the peanut oil, orange juice, and the fruit preserves. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the orange peel, garlic, ginger, cilantro, red pepper flakes, and ground mustard.
- Mix everything together and then place this mixture in a small food processor and process it on high for about 1 minute, or until everything is chopped and mixed together thoroughly.
- Store in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting lid until used. Makes about ¾ cup.