These chicken lettuce wraps are absolutely delicious and taste very similar to those served at wonderful P.F. Chang’s restaurant. Although this recipe is a bit time consuming, the flavor and texture of this dish is well worth the effort. Try this recipe and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here.
1.5 lbs ground chicken
8 dried shiitake mushrooms
5 tbsp peanut oil
¼ piece fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 green onions
3 dried Thai chili peppers
8 oz. can diced water chestnuts
1 head of Bibb lettuce
2 tsp dry sherry
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp water
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp peanut oil
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp warm water
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
½ cup water
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Chinese hot mustard
2 tsp hot chili garlic sauce
¼ cup sugar
1/8 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 ½ cups peanut oil
1 pkg cellophane noodles
- Soak the mushrooms in a bowl of hot water for about 30 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are soaking, place the ground chicken in a large plastic bowl with a tight fitting lid and add the marinade in the following order.
- First add the sherry and the soy sauce and stir. Next add the water, salt and pepper and mix it in. Then, using your hands, add the cornstarch making sure to mix it in thoroughly. Finally stir in the oil, cover, and let it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Peel the ginger and mince it into tiny pieces. Set it aside.
- Using the side of a knife, smash the cloves of garlic, remove the peel, and mince them into tiny pieces as well. Set these pieces aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water. Cut off the base and the very tops of the green stems. Then dice the remaining green and white stems into small pieces and set them aside.
- Cut the chili peppers in half and remove the seeds. If you want the extra spice, you can leave the seeds in. Chop the peppers into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Open and drain the water chestnuts and set them aside.
- By this time the mushrooms should have soaked for 30 minutes. Remove them from the water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off the stems and chop them into tiny pieces and set them aside.
- Prepare the cooking sauce be mixing all of the ingredients together making sure that the cornstarch dissolves. Set this sauce aside.
- Prepare the dipping sauce by mixing all of the ingredients together in a pot except for the cornstarch. Mix the cornstarch in a separate cup with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- Heat the pot on medium high stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Then slowly add the cornstarch while stirring until thick. Set this sauce aside.
- Carefully remove the leaves from the lettuce head and rinse them under cold water. Place them on paper towels to dry. These will be used as the “cups” for the chicken.
- Once the chicken has marinated, heat a large non stick pot or wok on high and add 3 tablespoons of the peanut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and stir fry it for about 4 minutes or until cooked through, breaking it up into pieces as you stir. Then remove it from the wok and set it aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the wok and add the ginger, garlic, green onion and chili peppers. Stir fry for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Then add the mushrooms and water chestnuts and stir fry for 3 more minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the cooking sauce. Stir until thick, and then keep it on low heat while you cook the noodles.
- The noodles will be deep fried, and should not be soaked in water prior to frying. In another large pot or wok, heat the 1 ½ cups of oil on high. The oil should be about an inch or so thick so that the noodles can be submerged.
- Add the noodles and cook for just 5 to 10 seconds or until they “puff” up. Then remove them quickly with a slotted spoon and place them on a serving plate.
- Once the noodles are cooked, place the chicken mixture on top of them and serve with the lettuce cups and dipping sauce. Makes about 3 servings.