Guest Author - Michelle Matile
My new favorite recipe is Affogato. The original version of this dessert is simply vanilla ice cream served with a shot of espresso. The espresso is poured over the ice cream causing it to melt or drown. Affogato means drowned in Italian. I recently made a version with chocolate ice cream. After I made it once I started to think of all the variations to this easy, impressive dessert. This recipe has a brownie base and is served with a shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream and a shot of espresso. This is the type of dessert that will completely surprise and impress your guests. Since it is easy to prepare and the brownie can be made ahead of time you will not be spending your evening in the kitchen while guests are enjoying themselves.
Brownie Affogato Recipe
2 sticks of butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Vanilla ice cream (1 scoop per each dessert serving)
Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur (1 shot per dessert)
Hot brewed espresso (1 shot per dessert)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a 9x13 baking pan.
3. Melt the butter, sugar, and the instant coffee in a medium sauce pan. Heat until the sugar has melted and dissolved, do not let it boil.
4. Once the butter is melted, set it aside to cool slightly.
5. In a small bowl combine the flour, cocoa, and the baking soda and set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and the vanilla.
7. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
8. Whisk the melted butter into the flour mixture, one half at a time.
9. Stir in the chocolate chips.
10. Bake for 25 minutes.
11. Allow the brownies to cool, then cut into squares.
12. Serve the brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and one shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream and one shot of hot espresso.
13. Pour the shots of Bailey’s and espresso over the ice cream and eat immediately.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!