Back-combing, Teasing and Ratting
Here are some tips:
- Use a body-building shampoo or one that is formulated for fine hair.
Use a conditioner because you want your finished style to be shiny and to appear touchable. If you have very fine or limp hair, try to apply the conditioner to the ends only. Then rinse thoroughly.
- Apply a firm hold styling foam or gel - roots to ends. Blow your hair dry, creating as much fullness as possible. Do this by lifting your hair as it drys or turning your head upside-down to dry it.
- Curl your hair all over in the style of your choice. See "roller tips" and "curling irons" for help. Even straight styles will benefit by a set with extra-large rollers.
- If your hair still feels very soft and silky, give it a light spray of hair-spray for more texture.
- Choose the section of hair you want lifted. Hold it up firmly with one hand.You can use a comb or a brush. I use a comb because it offers more control. Insert the comb about half way between the roots and the ends, then push the comb down toward the roots. It will take many hairs with it. Do this several times, until there is a nice cushion at the bottom of the section of hair.
(Choosing small sections and using a comb will give you a firmer "cushion" that will last longer. Using a brush and large sections will give a softer effect.)
- Spray each "cushion" with hair spray before you move on to the next section.
- When you have back-combed as much of your hair as is necessary for the style you choose, start smoothing it. Brush or comb over the top of your newly-created and sprayed cushions. Using very light pressure, smooth a little hair at a time, starting at the bottom and working toward the top.
Again, you will be using light pressure, making sure that you are not brushing through your back-combing. You will be working with a thin layer of hair over the top.
Once you have mastered back-combing, you can use it to fluff a flat crown or bangs or to create the classic "big hair" looks. And the best part about it is that it will stay there until you brush it out.
Beautiful hair begins with hair in good condition. Seasonal Specials at LC Legacy Hair Care
This site needs an editor - click to learn more!
You Should Also Read:
How to Scrunch Hair
Root Lifter for Flat Hair
Real Hair Solutions #1 -- Thin Flat Hair
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.