I don't really enjoy carrying a purse, so this mini wallet is perfect for carrying my keys and essential identification. Inside, there is a zippered pouch for holding change and a window pocket for holding ID and folding money or credit cards. Hook and loop tape holds the wallet shut so everything stays neat and secure. I have been using this type of compact wallet for more than two decades and here I share how to make them. Make one in every color to match all of your purses!
- 1/4 yard of cotton home décor fabric or canvas (fabric will be folded over, so avoid obviously directional prints, or you will end up with one side looking like it is upside down)
- 1 1/2 yards 5/8" wide grosgrain ribbon (*note: I used 7/8" ribbon in this example because my fabric store was out of the 5/8" in brown and while it does work, I think 5/8" works better)
- Small (3" X 5") piece of 16 gauge vinyl
- Zipper to match at least 5 inches long
- 4 1/2" piece of 3/4" wide hook and loop tape (not pictured)
- 1" Split Ring (like those on a keyring)(not pictured)
- Thread to match
- 1/4" wide fusible webbing tape (I used Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 and it worked very well)
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter, ruler and mat
- Straight pins
Out of main fabric, cut:
- two pieces 6" x 4 1/4" (Piece A)
- one piece 2 3/4" x 4 1/4" (Piece B)
- one piece 2" x 4 1/4" (Piece C)
Out of vinyl cut:
- one piece 2 3/4" x 4 1/4"
- Trim 1/8" off both pieces of hook and loop tape along one edge only.
- Cut a 4 1/2" piece of ribbon, set aside. Press longer piece ribbon in half along the length.
Click to see the next step of making the Zippy Keychain Wallet