Guest Author - Michelle Matile
Pretzels and chocolate are the ideal sweet and salty combination. Chocolate cookies are delicious but expected. Chocolate covered pretzels add some excitement to a typical chocolate cookie. I bought chocolate covered pretzels at the grocery store. These are no longer a gourmet treat only bought at specialty stores. If your grocery store does not sell them simply make your own. Your chocolate dipped pretzels do not need to look perfect, they will be chopped up anyway.
Chocolate & Pretzel Cookie Recipe
Makes 36 cookies
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
40 chocolate covered pretzels (either make your own or buy store bought)
1. In a large sauce pan add butter, sugar, water, and vanilla and melt over low heat.
2. Stir constantly until mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
3. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.
4. Continue stirring until the chocolate is melted.
5. Allow mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6. While the chocolate is cooling combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
7. Chop the chocolate covered pretzels. This can be done in a food processor, blender, or with a knife. Be sure to keep pretzel chunks, you do not want crumbs.
8. Add eggs one at a time to the cooled chocolate mixture, stirring after each one.
9. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the chocolate batter and continue stirring.
10. Mix in the chocolate covered pretzels.
11. Refrigerate the cookie dough for 1-3 hours before baking.
12. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
13. Shape dough into 2 inch balls.
14. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet. If the cookie sheet is greased it may increase the chances of the cookies flattening.
15. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
16. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
17. Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!