If you’ve ever been to a Chinese bakery you know that there are tons of different varieties of buns available. There are steamed buns, baked buns, fried treats, and a variety of meat filled buns. The recipe below is for the dough that is used in many of the steamed and baked buns. This is a basic yeast dough which is quite simple to make, however it does take some time. It must sit for 2 hours prior to use so that it can rise. If you are making filled buns, I suggest making the dough first. Then while it is left to rise, make the filling for your buns. Enjoy!
To see a video of these instructions click here.
6 cups flour
1¾ cup warm water
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp shortening
- Place the flour in a large bowl and set it aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the warm water and the sugar. Stir thoroughly until all of the sugar has dissolved.
- Next, add the yeast and stir it in gently. Let the yeast sit for 10 minutes so that it activates.
- While the yeast mixture sits, add the baking powder to the flour stirring it with a fork until it is mixed through. You can sift these two ingredients together if you wish, but it is not necessary.
- After about 10 minutes the yeast should be active. The mixture should have a large amount of foam on top. Once the mixture has accumulated the foam, pour it into the flour while stirring.
- Then add the shortening and continue to stir until a stiff dough forms.
- Once a dough forms, use your hands and mix everything together thoroughly.
- If the dough feels too dry and is breaking apart, add just a little water and continue to mix it with your hands. At this point, the dough should be a bit sticky and malleable. Continue to mix until all of the flour is incorporated into the dough.
- Once everything is mixed through, knead the dough with your hands for another 10 minutes. Use the heel of your hands to press into the dough and knead it.
- Once the dough is done, cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, this dough is ready to be used in a delicious bun recipe.
This dough can be used to make the following:
Chinese Barbecued Pork Buns