We curly haired girls have been straightening our hair for far to long. It’s time for a new individualized style of our own. So put away the straightening iron and declare a new freedom.
- Start with moisturizing shampoo and conditioner to help tame the frizzies.
- Gather serums, shiners, hair crèmes and glazes. These will help to perfect shiny, individual curls.
Most natural curl is uneven in texture. It’s hard to deal with hair that is curly-curly in some spots and only wavy in others. You may have to use different methods to join each area into one ‘style’
- Curly areas: Apply hair crème or serum or a combination of the two to coat the hair. Gently run your fingers through your hair to help loosen the curl.
- Wavy areas: Apply a styling glaze or foam to this area and scrunch it to encourage the curl.
Allow your hair to dry naturally, shaping and scrunching as it dries or use a diffuser to speed drying time.
- After your hair is dry, fluff it with your fingers. You may need to use a curling iron to either loosen some of the curly area or put a little more curl in the wavy areas.
Not enough curl
Use a styling glaze or styling foam to scrunch in more curl as it dries.
If your hair is scrunched and completely dry and is still lacking, use a curling iron to add a few curls. The trick is to curl only a few very small strands, here and there. Your purpose is to enhance the look, not create a whole new style with the iron.
Too much curl
Use smoothing serum or gel or a combination of both to coat the hair and control frizz. Do not scrunch.
When your hair is completely dry, loosen a few curls here and there with a curling iron. Run your fingers through your hair enough to fluff and separate the curls but not enough to cause your style to become "big hair."
Refreshing the curl
If your hair gets overly fluffed, either from styling or from wear and tear throughout the day; wet your hands and run your fingers through it to tame and separate the curls. Hair crèmes are also very good for ‘weighting’ your hair down a bit.
If the ends get frizzy, put a dollop of glaze or hair crème in the palms of your hands, rub them together and scrunch the product into the ends of your hair.
Enjoy the new freedom from worrying about humidity and the weather, because your hair is doing what it was born to do!
Check out the Frizz Forecast!
Read my review of curl boosters and enhancers.