Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry Recipe
Chinese beef and cabbage stir fry is a traditional dish in which thin slices of beef are tossed with Napa cabbage in a warm seasoned sauce.
1½ lbs. lean beef (strip steak works great in this recipe)
1 small Napa cabbage
1 large clove of garlic
2 tbsp peanut oil
3 tbsp chicken broth
1½ tbsp soy sauce
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp peanut oil
- Remove any excess fat from the meat and then cut it against the grain into thin 1½ inch square pieces.
- Then place these pieces in a bowl and add the marinade by first mixing in the salt and sherry. Then slowly add the egg white, making sure to coat each piece of meat. Then add the cornstarch and lastly, the oil. Let this marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Next, cut off the base of the cabbage and pull off each leaf and rinse them under cold running water. Then dry them thoroughly with paper towels and cut them into 1½ inch to 2 inch square pieces and set them aside.
- Peel the garlic by smashing the side of it lightly with a knife. Then mince it and set it aside. This should equal about 1 teaspoon of minced garlic.
- Once the meat marinates, heat a wok on high and add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and let it get hot.
- When the oil is hot, add the beef and stir fry it for 2 minutes, or just until it is cooked through. Then remove it, place it on a plate and set it aside.
- Add another tablespoon of peanut oil to the wok and let it get hot.
- Then add the minced garlic and stir fry for just 10 seconds, or until fragrant. Be sure not to burn the garlic, otherwise the flavor will be bitter in the final dish.
- Then add the cabbage and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Then stir in the chicken broth and soy sauce and let the cabbage cook down and become slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
- Once the cabbage cooks down, return the beef to the wok and stir fry for one more minute. Then remove it from the heat and serve, enjoy.
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lila Voo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lila Voo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lila Voo for details.