Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Get Away From Your Average Cruise
Norwegian Cruise Line shows off an exciting array of features with the launch of the Norwegian Getaway. The ship’s hallmarks include an oceanfront boardwalk lined with bars and restaurants, a massive waterpark and ropes course, an innovative magic-themed dinner theater, top Broadway-style shows, and one of the most extensive facilities dedicated to youth and teen programs in the fleet.
The Norwegian Getaway is the largest ship based year-round in its homeport of Miami. This new ship is a great choice for families and type-A cruisers seeking non-stop entertainment and thrills. Here are seven of the many things cruisers will love about the Norwegian Getaway:
1. The Magic of the Illusionarium. It's fitting that a ship based year-round in the Magic City should have the best magic show at sea. Exclusively available on the Norwegian Getaway, the Illusionarium’s wonderous show quickly puts guests under its spell. Set as a dinner theater in the round, the Illusionarium’s immersive program features performances by world-class magicians and mentalists. The show’s story line is engaging and features a wide variety of props, sound effects, and dazzling video projections onto the theater’s massive 30-foot dome centered above the circular stage. A three course dinner is served during the performance.
2. Sizzling Nightlife. The fun never stops on the Norwegian Getaway. Guests can choose from an array of 22 bars and lounges ranging from the hopping Bliss Ultra Lounge to the expansive Bar at the Atrium with its two-story LED screen. Lounges such as the Sugarcane Mojito Bar and the Key West-themed Sunset Bar echo the ship’s Miami roots. Guests can look forward to another great nighttime feature on the Norwegian Getaway – a glittering fireworks show takes place on every cruise.
3. An Adrenaline-Charged Waterpark. Norwegian Getaway’s multi-story Aqua Park features five waterslides, two pools and four hot tubs. This centrally located waterpark atop the ship appeals to families, thrill seekers and kids at heart. Don’t miss plummeting almost straight down on The Whip and taking The Free Fall – said to be the fastest slide at sea. In addition to an adult pool, there’s also a pirate-themed mini-waterpark area featuring Nickelodeon characters that is just the right size for little ones.
4. Wide Array of Dining Options. Food lovers won’t be bored on Norwegian Getaway. The ship is a foodie paradise with 28 different dining choices. The Waterfront is a large quarter-mile boardwalk-type promenade lined with a variety of seaside venues offering stunning ocean views. These are popular meeting and dining spots for guests who want to gaze at the relaxing sea views while enjoying their favorite cocktail or noshing on delicious seafood. Celebrity Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian has three seafood restaurants on Norwegian Getaway: Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian; Ocean Blue on The Waterfront; and The Raw Bar. For variety, Norwegian Getaway guests can sample cuisines from around the world, including French, Italian, Brazilian, and Far East delights such as Teppanyaki, Shanghai’s Noodle Bar, and sushi at Wasabi. Those craving well-marbled steak should look no further than Cagney’s Steakhouse. Some of these restaurants carry an additional fee, but others including the popular 24-hour O’Sheehan’s Neighborhood Bar & Grill, the Flamingo Bar & Grill, and The Tropicana Room are free of charge. Guests with a sweet tooth should make sure to save some room for treats from Carlo’s Bake Shop and Dolce Gelato.
5. Top Flight Entertainment. A Miami-based ship should have the hottest entertainment options, and that’s what you’ll find aboard the Norwegian Getaway. The ship features three live Broadway performances and tons of nightly shows. Legally Blonde, one of the ship’s signature shows, is a seven-time Tony Award-nominated musical with an outstanding cast. Getaway guests can also enjoy live comedy at the Headliners Comedy Club, the magic of the Illusionarium, the sizzling Burn The Floor dance show, dueling pianos at Howl At The Moon, exclusive performances by past GRAMMY winners and nominees at The GRAMMY Experience, and much more. The ship also features Nickelodeon-themed family entertainment as well, including parties featuring Dora the Explorer, SpongeBob SquarePants and other popular Nickelodeon characters.
6. Ropes Course Thrills. Do you have what it takes to walk The Plank? Find out when you step onto Norwegian Getaway’s massive ropes course at sea. This sprawling multi-level course, part of the Norwegian Getaway’s huge Sports Complex, consists of over forty different components. Daredevils can walk The Plank out to its end, only to find themselves standing eight feet out off the side of the ship. Don’t miss getting your photo taken standing out there … if you make it. There’s also a pint-sized ropes course for younger kids who aren’t yet 48-inches tall. The Getaway’s Sports Complex features a nine-hole miniature golf course located right beneath the ropes course, a huge rock climbing wall, a bungee trampoline and spider web, a 24-foot enclosed climbing cage, and more.
7. Multiple Adults-Only Spaces. Norwegian Cruise Line understands that adults want to have their own spots for relaxation and fun. That’s why they’ve designed the Norwegian Getaway with several adults-only venues aboard the ship. Located on Deck 16 at the back of the ship, Miami-themed Spice H2O is the place to go both day and night. It features two hot tubs, a calming double waterfall, sun loungers, a large video screen, a bar and lounge area and plenty of space for dancing. Deck 17 is home to another exclusive oasis for sunning and relaxing for guests 18 and older. Limited to those purchasing access passes, the Vibe Beach Club offers upscale lounge chairs, a large hot tub, a soothing water feature, a full-service bar and great ocean views.
Traveling with kids? The Norwegian Getaway is a superb choice for families. The ship’s Splash Academy spans two decks located close to the ship’s family staterooms, upping the convenience factor for parents. The youth area features sections designed specifically for three age groups: Turtles for ages 3-5; Seals for ages 6-9; and Dolphins for ages 10-12. Splash Academy also offers activities for Guppies – tiny cruisers between the ages of 6 months and 3 years. Parents with young children under 3 can enjoy fun events with their child, including sensory play classes and “Motion in the Ocean,” a parent and tot mini workout session.
The Norwegian Getaway caters to older kids as well. Located separately on Deck 16, Entourage is a high energy zone exclusively for teens ages 13-17. This hot spot keeps teens busy with video games, arts and activities, movies and events. At night, Entourage turns into a teens-only nightclub with a dance floor, video jukebox, and large screen television.
Norwegian Getaway is based year-round in Miami, Florida. The ship sails on seven-night cruises to the Eastern Caribbean, visiting St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau, Bahamas. For more information, visit Norwegian Cruise Line’s website: www.getaway.ncl.com.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Nancy Schretter. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Nancy Schretter. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Nancy Schretter for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.