Guest Author - Michelle Matile
I love biscotti. They are the ultimate cookie and treat. I enjoy everything about them. They are a delicious combination with all my beverages: tea, coffee, and wine. Biscotti freeze well. I sometimes make a batch or two and freeze them. Then I can pull out a cookie or two when I need my biscotti fix. I am constantly looking for new biscotti to create. These sticky and sweet biscotti may be my new favorite cookie.
Sticky, Sweet Chocolate & Toffee Biscotti Recipe
Makes 30 cookies
1/2 (14 oz.) container of sweetened condensed milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup toffee and milk chocolate baking bits
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon almond extract
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
Remaining 1/2 (14 oz.) container of sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon of almond extract
1/2 cup of toffee and milk chocolate baking bits
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and sugar.
4. To the flour mixture, add eggs, 1/2 of a can of sweetened condensed milk (reserve the remainder of the can for later), vegetable oil, and 1 tablespoon of almond extract.
5. Beat with a hand mixer until combined.
6. Stir in the toffee bits.
7. Form 2 logs with dough and bake on cookie sheet. While forming the logs the dough may be sticky. You can either add water or flour to your hands to make handling the dough easier.
8. Bake for 25 minutes.
9. While the cookies are baking, in a sauce pan, heat the remaining condensed milk and almond extract over medium to high heat.
10. Allow to bubble up.
11. Once it has started to bubble up remove from stove top and allow it to cool and thicken.
12. Take out biscotti from oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes while in the pan.
13. After they have cooled, slice into about 30 cookies.
14. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
15. Take out and pour glaze over cookies and sprinkle remaining toffee bits over biscotti.
16. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
17. Allow the cookies to cool before serving.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!